This is a safety sensitive position.
Maintains and supervises company productivity and quality standards per specifications. Ensures all work is scheduled and performed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of areas of responsibility.
- Establishes and maintains quality assurance standards and controls to ensure company products conform to specifications.
- Instructs, orients, motivates, and otherwise assists employees so that production and quality objectives are achieved.
- Ensures that safety, quality, and housekeeping standards are met.
- Ensures employees receive proper training on company equipment as required by OSHA Regulations.
- Interviews, hires, and trains employees: Plans, assigns, and directs work; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Coordinates and supervises activities of personnel, determining specific work assignments.
- Oversees and provides training for personnel within their job descriptions until they are able to successfully maintain job quality and performance.
Essential Functions Cont:
- Ensures availability of materials, anticipating requirements and maintaining current inventory.
- Recommends ways to improve output and material flow.
- Uses SAP to support the production process and material flow throughout the plants.
- Reviews production costs and cost trends. Takes the initiative in making suggestions to control costs.
- Monitors production quality on an on-going basis. Makes adjustments to processes to maximize product quality.
- Assures that employees learn to work independently and be responsible for, but not limited to, in verifying the quality and quantity of material they produce, teaching them to fill-out their own time card accordingly, running the assigned machinery in a safe manner and accordingly by documenting the correct part number and the quantity of pieces they produce.
- Analyzes and reports production and quality results.
- Monitors production area environment to ensure that product is being manufactured in a safe manner.
- Coordinates and conducts weekly safety meetings with employees.
- Coordinates and conducts monthly safety inspections in the assigned department.
- Writes injury reports for injured employees and follows up accordingly with employee’s status of injury and working conditions.
- Maintains continuous feedback to employees concerning job performance, as well as conducting a yearly performance review.
- Identifies potential hazards in the work area.
- Must be flexible to perform other duties as assigned and required by the department
- Must have a college degree, preferably in a business field, or at least five years of supervisory experience.
- Must have a minimum of three to five years of experience in a manufacturing environment or equivalent education and experience.
- Outstanding interpersonal, leadership and management skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to use a forklift, tape measure, a telephone, 2-way radio, pallet jack, and the computer system used at Virco.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills (MS Word and Excel) and SAP.
- The ability to lead, influence and interact effectively with all levels of management.
- Must be able to pass a forklift-driving and background test to become an authorized forklift driver.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Need to be flexible with required working hours, including overtime.
- Must be able to speak English.
- Bilingual English/Spanish (Torrance).
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance. 401K Match.
1st Shift Supervisor - 5:00 am to 1:30 pm.
Must be able to occasionally lift up to 25 to 50 lbs. pounds to waist level. When training new employees on the essential job duties, may occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds. Must be able to walk around at least 8 to 10 hours a day standing in the manufacturing and warehouse environment. Must wear applicable and proper protective equipment including, but not limited to: protective eye and/or hearing equipment to safely perform job duties.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions